View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The best advice I can give you is to just treat her normal like you would anyone else. Be supportive if she needs support. If you see that she needs help with something just do it and don't make a big deal about it. Don't constantly ASK if she needs help because it will make her feel broken or "less than"...at least that's how it makes me feel. As you get to know her you will get a sense of things that are difficult for her that you can help with and things that she is willing and able to do on her own. Don't constantly bring up or ask her if she is doing okay or treat her like a china doll. Don't pressure her if she doesn't want to do something. She may not tell you that she's having a rough day but you should assume that there's a good reason for her not wanting to do a particular activity or go out on a certain day and suggest something else. Give her space when she needs it and stay close when you can.

It's a very difficult balance because you should be supportive but at the same time you have to treat her like a normal human being and not like she is broken. My boyfriend does a great job with this and I really can't even express how much it means to me that he has been so wonderful through all of this.

It's wonderful that you care enough about her to want to be with her despite the RSD and that you want to learn as much as you can about it. Do the research because it will give you a good idea of what sorts of things can trigger our pain or are more difficult as well as things that can help. But we're all different too so you'll have to learn about HER situation and the specifics of her needs. She may or may not be comfortable talking about her condition (she's probably concerned about whining too much and bothering you), and you'll have to respect that. Just take in everything you can as things come up.

More than anything though...treat her like she is normal and make sure she knows you want to be with her. Everything else will work itself out in time.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote