View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 06:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

For me, the injections did help tremendously. I know that, for some, they either provide little relief or shorter term relief. Mine? The effects or benefits (pain relief) was longer lasting.

I think what helped was that my doc did other things (like testing, testing 1-2-3 ) and nerve blocks prior - to assess whether I was in the running as a candidate for, i.e., RF'ing.

I've had facets and nerve nuking of my C-spine, T-spine, L-spine and the good ol' SI Joints.

Because my doc does use steriods (though he can leave that component out), and with all the radiographic imaging I've had since my fall, I've not had any procedures in a while.

I was a bit worried about the cummulative toll everything combined was having on my body; my adrenal glands were acting screwy and it was also messing up my cycles - to the point (you may recall, and if not, that's okay) I was mis-dx'd as prematurely post-menopausal. That would have been okay, only it was incorrect and I spent so much time at labs, etc., being poked and prodded with U/Ss - since the lining measurements would have been too high if I were post menopausal; those levels were scaring my OB/GYN. Normal levels, though, for someone not post-menopausal.

Because the procedures do make the pain bearable (some of it, depending where, such as the scapulas, non-noticeable), I will have the procedures again, only without steroids in the mix.

Before my first procedure, I did cancel it; I just didn't know enough about it and was scared outta my mind. It was before I interacted with others whom are familiar with the procedures. Only people I was getting info. about ESIs from, for instance, was women whom have gone through childbirth. They had never heard of ESIs in the C-spine, etc.

Until I felt that I really understood the procedures, I waited.

If my foot could have reached, I would have kicked my own bum for waiting so long. Seriously.

Diff. docs approach things differently, as you know . Mine has a certain protocol he uses, and, so far, it's worked like a charm for my pain management.

I don't expect any of my doctors to be Mr. or Ms. Personality of the Year, yet it does help greatly when there is a solid rapport and the communication doesn't leave me feeling as if I may have understood, but that I do understand.

As you might also remember, I have a set of steps I also follow (created from trial-and-error) that I use before each procedure. I think that that has also helped me in the recovery time. If you do have any injections, and if you want the list, I'd be happy to share it . It's just simple things, but... they do work for me.

P.S.: I don't know if you've had a doc check out your PSIS (Posterior Superior Iliac Spine), yet that might be something to have looked at as well. Mine gets "knotted" at times. Too, if you've not had a bone scan or CT since the pain, it's something I'd also not rule out. Mine did discern inflammation, among other things.

Last edited by Bobbi; 05-09-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: corrected spelling boo-boos
Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote