View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 05:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bizarre sciatic symptoms

Any insight on my problem? Here is my story:

Two months ago, I hurt my back shoveling snow. I suffered for three weeks, got massages, but it didn't get better. I went to see an orthopedic surgeon, who took an X-ray and diagnosed a herniated disc, probably L5 S1. He prescribed physical therapy and instructed me to wait for a month before we explore the next step. The pain was diagnosed as sciatica.

I noticed that when I tweak my sciatica, my ears start to ring.

I also had several minor episodes where I get a brief very strange feeling, like a short-circuit of my nervous system. It's very difficult to describe, but very disconcerting.

After 3 weeks of PT, I felt that the sessions were not helping, so I went to see a chiropractor. He made what he called a few small adjustments, and put me on his traction device for a few minutes. When I left his office, I felt about the same, with perhaps some more mobility.

About 2-3 hours after visiting the chiropractor, I had a major episode. The short-circuit feeling lasted a few seconds, and then I got light-headed and weak. My ears started ringing a lot. I felt like my body was buzzing with energy. I had a tingling feeling in my extremities. I was cold. I lay down hoping the feeling would pass. It grew stronger and maybe I started hyperventilating. I also got cold and clammy.

I couldn't calm down and was afraid it was something dangerous, so I called 911 and went to the emergency room. They ran a bunch of tests and everything checked out OK. While in the ER I slowly calmed down and began to feel OK, but still weak. The ER doctor said it was likely dehydration and exhaustion.

A couple of days later, I had another episode, but less intense. My wife verified that my hands felt cold and clammy, but my temperature reading was normal.

The next day I had another small episode. I noticed that it occured a minute or two after I tweaked my sciatica.

Each time I have these episodes, my ears ring. I feel weak. I have no appetite. They seem to be happening more frequently. I believe they are related to my sciatica, but I don't really know what's causing them or how to recover.

More information: When I wake up each morning, my ears are quiet and I have no symptom other than sciatica pain. When I am active (out walking) I have not had an episode.

Any insight? Please help.
sciatic_52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote