View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart My occipital neuralgia story

It was September 15 I vividly remember because it was my grandmothers birthday. I called her to wish her happy birthday and she asked how I was doing and I said I have a headache from hell. So I went on about my day.

Throughout the day the pain got progressively worse so I left work early and went home and took a couple of ibuprophen, this would normally help but this time it didn't. The next day I couldn't get out of bed becaus the pain was so bad but I kept on taking pills to ease the pain. A couple of days later it was so bad that I went to the emergency room, in typical emergency room fashion I was quickly medicated and for the moment the pain subsided and I went home.

Less than 36 hours later I was back again. This time they were afraid that it was meningitis so they gave me a barrage of antibiotics and ordered a spinal tap. Since I'm not a fan of pain they didn't get far with the spinal tap and I was sent home and referred to my primary doctor. So I followed up with my pcp and he said oh it's a migrane and referred me to a neurologist.
The first neurologist put me on topamax. Topamax was the devil in a pill. I had so many effects that I had to go back to the hospital and they flushed it out of my system. So I went back to my neurologist and he proscribed another pill I forgot the name off hand. But that didn't work.

Ill skip the months of sleepless night and daily agonizing pain and suicidal thoughts, because they were the worse months of my life hands down.

The neurologist pretty much told me I have a migrane and I would have to live with it, so I told him go to take a long walk off a short pier and I found a new neurologist. Best decision I've ever made. My current dr actually examined me, ordered catscans, MRIs and everything. I was officially diagnosed (after 5 months) with occicpital neurolgia.
He tried me on every pill under the sun and nothing worked. He suggested a nerve block injection to ease the pain. Well that didn't work either, but I did gain a few pounds.
So as of today it's almost 7 months in daily pain. I'm at my wits end, my job is bitching at me for leaving early everyday, and I need relief.
The only drug that kinda helped was cymbalta but its not covered by my insurance so I have to fight them.

I'm 30 and in chronic daily pain, i cant sleep, i cant work out, i cant work, i gained weight. Soit's taken it's toll on me me mentally, physically and emotionally. My partner actually told me today that my depression shows even tho I try my best to hide it.

That's my Story
Jwebber57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote