View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Dave! This is a great board. You are most definitely not alone. I just had a 3 level ACDF (c4-c7) 22 days ago. I had 3 very large herniations ~ one crushing my spinal cord and the other 2 were pushing into the thecal sac pressing on some nerve roots. In December I went to the doctor because of tingling and numbness in my right thumb and pointer finger with some pain in between my shoulder blades. I was scheduled for an MRI. I went for the MRI and returned to work. As soon as I walked through my office door, my doctor's office was on the phone with my results and told me they had set me up with a neurosurgeon due to the seriousness. I could not have been more flabbergasted or scared. I was told to stop exercising ASAP. I'm a runner (that loves half marathons and races like that) and I also work out with kettlebells. I'm a 38 year old mother of two and in pretty decent shape. The 1st neurosurgeon suggested 6 weeks of physical therapy and traction. The neurologist who did my EMG and my doctor were both floored by that and suggested getting a second opinion. I researched my 2nd neurosurgeon and also talked to people he has operated on as well. He told me point blank that I was crushing my spine and all 3 levels needed to be done. As I said, I'm 22 days post-op and am walking anywhere from 3-5 miles per day, haven't taken any pain meds since 8 days past surgery and am trying to remain positive. I am still reconciling with the fact that I won't run half marathons anymore. I'm trying to get them to say I will be able to run a few miles 2x per week (I'm not nearly at that point yet though) but no one will commit to any answers yet. On a good note, I have read that with single level fusions, you should be able to return to all of your physical activities prior to surgery. Good luck to you!
ChelKB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Megalodonbite (04-10-2013), mg neck prob (04-11-2013)