View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My battery is also a pain..

Firstly I'd like to reiterate the last reply on this post. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, it is so hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced an SCS or similar implant, what it's like.

After 2 diskectomies and a lumbar fusion I was fitted with a Boston Scientific SCS. It worked really well for around 9-12 months, though I did have to keep increasing the power over time. Despite several bouts of re-programming it quite quickly became ineffective, so I had not only the sacral and sciatic pain, but also the very intense tingling from the SCS. As the frequency of this device is fairly low (around 20-50Hz)the brain can pick up the pulses, so over time some people can 'filter' out the noise, which leaves the pain signal behind. At this point you are effectively back to square one.

I was trialled for a Nevro SCS system, which is a higher frequency (5000 - 15000Hz) the brain cannot detect it, therefore there is no tingling or similar associated parasthesia. The trial was graet, and I was lucky to be fitted with the new implant in June 2012. The old 'pocket' in my right buttock was re-used for the new battery, which is approximately 60% larger and after a few weeks this healed as expected.

The implant itself took a bit of getting used to and a few re-programs later it's brilliant. HOWEVER, since Christmas I've had a reasonable amount of pain from the battery site itself. This has escalated quickly and is now very painful, and on a bad day is excrutiating. So I am now reduced to taking strong painkillers for the battery pain whilst my sacrum and sciatic pains are pretty good .

I'm on the list for a battery re-position but have been advised that this could take up to 4-5 months. My GP has prescribed Lidocaine patches which I wear for 12 hours overnight which at least helps me get some sleep. But I just can't wait to get it re-positioned now.

It's good to know that I'm not alone with this, as it's very easy to feel isolated with chronic pain.
RogerB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (04-19-2013), Kort Jester (04-10-2013), Rrae (04-17-2013)