View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you all very much for your replies and support Its nice to have a place to come with others I can turn to that understand! Although I am dreading this surgery, I remain optimistic about my recovery. I also have faith in my neurosurgeon, as he is one of the best in the state and I have heard so many success stories.

Having said this, my reason for going forward with this surgery does not necessarily have anything to do with pain. In fact, I'm not in much pain at all...it comes and goes at times and isn't fun but its generally bearable. My reason for having this surgery is my fear of complete atrophy in my arm. Although I am not at that point yet, as I speak, the nerve is being compressed possibly causing further damage. This is why I have not elected to do epidurals because they are for pain and simply numb the nerve...they do not relieve compression. As a dive master and weight lifter, I cannot afford the risk of further injury. Every time I'm driving, I am scared someone will rear-end me, protruding it even further. Although I understand this surgery is serious, the risk of letting it go certainly outweighs the potential complications of surgery in my mind. Sure, I can get injections to cover up the pain but what happens the next time I accidently lift a scuba tank the wrong way? Logically, it makes sense to have surgery.

Its inspiring hearing how well you all are doing after surgery, especially considering you have all had multi-levels done...which is a lot worse than mine. I realize that I could potentially end up with the same thing in the future but being so young, its important for me to be able to live my active life to the fullest for as long as I can. Its going to be tough enough being away from the gym but I am going to take it one step at a time. I will definitely keep you all updated after surgery on Monday and thanks again for the support and kind words
Dave
Megalodonbite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (04-11-2013)