View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi, Daniell,
I am an adult who has was diagnosed 25 years ago. I do not have children so I do not have the same kind of insight that parents would have for you. Google The Balanced Mind Foundation to find a place for parents of children with bipolar.

If you can get him to a psychiatrist at a major medical research hospital or medical school you have a good chance of getting an appropriate diagnosis and med regime.

If you are not doing so find a system to keep track of daily:
Moods
Medications
Symptoms
Sleep
Side effects
And whatever the doctors have requested or that seems relevant to you

Track the above on-line, in a spread sheet, or a huge wall calendar. It does not matter as long as you have records for you and his health care team. If you like doing things online try moodtracker.com

The tapping might work for him. That would be good. I did not find that it worked for me. I did find that acupuncture was very good.

You are right to let go of the swearing issue. Try to counsel him to save the swearing for home. He can think of home as a safe place.

He has a major medical disorder. Please do not punish him or ground him for being sick. He might not need the talk therapy as much after he finds the right medicine. Talk therapy would probably help the 14 year old who is living with the chaos.

Things are going to get better. Trust his psychiatrist. Ask the psychiatrist for suggestions to help you deal with the school.

Mari
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (04-15-2013)