View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 10:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've been reading up on this drug, too, and have gotten mildly encouraged (that's as hopeful as I ever get with RSD treatments). It is the most promising drug out there for protecting brain matter from atrophy. Your brain atrophies after years of chronic pain. (Another aspect of RSD doctors don't mention till the RSD progresses). The parts of the brain that atrophy control and regulate the central nervous system, so the symptoms tend to be similar to Parkinsons or traumatic brain injury. Nemanda has been successful at preventing, slowing, or improving brain atrophy and damage in those two illnesses/ parts of the brain, and there is a surprisingly strong record of success. Nemanda is now being tried for a lot of other neurological conditions besides RSD/CRPS - not for pain per se, but to target very specific parts of the brain that deal with regulating heart, blood pressure, emotions, adrenaline, sweating, language. If folks are interested I can provide some citations.
Maybe Nemanda is best suited for people with RSD starting to experience symptoms of central nervous system failure; e.g., symptoms apart from pain such as low blood pressure, fainting, inability to initiate movement, inability to swallow, vision changes. I don't know. But it seems to have prevention possibilities, to prevent worsening, which is a hopeful thing.
mollymcn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote