View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 09:01 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Some feedback

Madamlash-
I am sorry that you are having a rough time. While I have not had DBS, there are enough similarities between our conditions that I thought it might help. Like you, I was diagnosed 13 years ago. After trying a number of meds I, too, have cast my lot with carbidopa/levodopa, although at a higher dose than you. I am taking 2 x 200/50 every three hours (6,9,N,3,6 and sometimes 9 PM) and doing pretty well. I have been on this schedule about six months. Had some DK at first but dropped the dosage quickly to a level that gave some stability. For the most part I am functional most of the day with a vulnerable period in mid-afternoon that I am still working on.

I took this route because the requip had been a DK nightmare plus a desire to experiment that would bring in problems of polypharmacy. My neuro approved especially since he doesn't trust the agonists either. And c/l is an old med whose problems are well known.

I particularly relate to the blood pressure issue since my high end has at times reached the same scarey levels. I have been taking a beta blocker and an ACE inhibitor and have recently begun to slowly shift to magnesium and potassium with some success. I watch it closely particularly as I change things around.

I also watch my GI system. Slow action interfers with meds so I take ginger which is a big help. Constipation I address with senna an old herbal laxative.

I take turmeric because anything with that much good press has to have something going for it. It has kept Ron alive so it should help me too.

I am experimenting with creatine at low doses for muscle strength and beginning to exercise for blood sugar problems that come with sinemet. And a multi and a B-complex to round things out.

I have noted improvements in GI function, sleep quality, blood pressure, dependability of PD function, etc.

I take as much c/l as needed to minimize symptoms and I stay in bed until functional. This gives both my wife and myself a psychological boost that is of great value and it is safer as well.

Finally, I group things that conflict with c/l or that make me sleepy at bedtime. I don't eat until coming on and then start with protein (esp eggs) to keep blood sugar stable.

Sorry for so much detail but it seems appropriate.

Some things that stand out with you are the bout of the crud that you just had and are still recovering from. It can take months for healthy folk to get over that and your doc may be rushing things more than he should. And you are vulnerable and just want it to be over. But even if you opt for DBS you want your immune system running smoothly beforehand. Infection is still one of the problems. Do a search for "attenuate microglia" for ideas here if you buy into my rambles as to PD and so on.

Good luck-

Quote:
Originally Posted by madamlash View Post
Anyone With DBS? Please give me some feedback.

I could really use some feedback.

I was diagnosed 12 years ago. I've not had good results with any meds other than Carbidopa-Levodopa 25/100 and I have to to take 1.5 tablets every 2 hours. I know that's a pretty high dose. As a result the dyskinesia has really set in lately. My balance has noticibly worsened.

I also had a nasty health downturn right after Christmas that lasted almost 3 months and put me in the hospital twice. I have never been sick, enjoying remarkable health throughout my life up until this 3 month bout. The doctors are still not sure what happened... maybe the flu but whatever it was resulted in keeping me in bed, not being able to eat, sleep... miserable. I'm finally over most of that but it has left me in weakened condition. I also have developed numbness in my fingers and toes just in the past month. My blood pressure fluctuates wildly from a low of 76/54 to a high of 190/125.

My neuro has mentioned DBS at every visit for the past year or so. I pretty much just waived that option away feeling that it would prevent me from participating in clinical trials and possibly keep me from getting some new, remarkable treatment.

After this health scare, I have opened my mind to DBS but frankly am quite frightened by it. I'd love some feedback from anyone here.

Some of my questions are:

1. How did you feel during the days right after the initial placement of the wires? Were you able to do any work (light work like on the computer)? I have a job that I love and I am hoping to not have to take too much time off of work.
2. How long was it before you could do light work?
3. How well does DBS work to get rid of dyskinesia?
4. I've read that DBS makes you sleep better. True?
5. I have nasty muscle cramps. Does DBS help?
6. Did it effect your eyesight?
7. What do you like about DBS?
8. What do you hate about it?
9. What do you wish you had known before you had it done?
10. What about it surprised you?
11. Would you do it again?

Thank you all for your input!
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
madamlash (04-15-2013)