View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default me too...I've had a spinal cord hernaition

Hi everyone,
I too have had a spinal cord herniation at my t6 (bra level) repaired. The operation took over 6 hours and the neurosurgeons were unsure whether it would work but luckily it did. However, i didn't really have a choice about having surgery because it took me over 3 years to get a diagnosis and when i finally did my neurosurgeon told me i was 2 weeks away from being paralysed because my cord was so trapped and compromised

I went on to have the surgery and everything was going fine until a year later my scar tissue form a cyst within my spinal cavity. The surgeons tried everything to drain the cyst but it would not go away and then i developed a csf leak. To help the spinal cavity balance it's pressure i had a LP shunt fitted and this worked brilliantly. 3 months later I was back to work as a nurse and busy being a mum.

Everything continued to improve and i had a baby 4 years after my big first op which i never thought possible and through out my pregnancy i never had 1 day of back ache. The only complication was i had to have a c section under GA but this worked out really well and i was discharge home 36 hrs after my C-section.

However, about 6 months ago i started getting back pain and those strange neuro symptoms that i'm sure we have all experienced returned...like cold drips of water running down your leg, tingling feet, less sensation. I have returned to see my Neurosurgeon and he has MRI'd me and found my spinal cord scar tissue has settled down and my cord looks healthier than ever BUT a proportion of my spinal cord has adhered onto my spine. Hence causing me pain, burning and discomfort in my back and legs. This is inoperable due to the risk of paralysis.

Now i wonder if this is from me over doing it or whether it due to nerves coming back to life...ie: this pain has always been there but the numbness around my scarring has deaded the pain...does that make sense??

Anyway would love to hear from anyone who's had a spinal cord herniation (not disc herniation)

Look forward to hearing from you, K.xxx
mumoftwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote