View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default spinal cord herniation...have you had one?

Hi everyone

I had a spinal cord herniation operation several years ago at my t6 (bra level) repaired. The operation took over 6 hours and the neurosurgeons were unsure whether it would work but luckily it did. However, i didn't really have a choice about having surgery because it took me over 3 years to get a diagnosis and when i finally did my neurosurgeon told me i was 2 weeks away from being paralysed because my cord was so trapped and compromised

I went on to have the surgery and everything was going fine until a year later my scar tissue form a cyst within my spinal cavity. The surgeons tried everything to drain the cyst but it would not go away and then i developed a csf leak. To help the spinal cavity balance it's pressure i had a LP shunt fitted and this worked brilliantly. 3 months later I was back to work as a nurse and busy being a mum.

Everything continued to improve and i had a baby 4 years after my big first op which i never thought possible and through out my pregnancy i never had 1 day of back ache. The only complication was i had to have a c section under GA but this worked out really well and i was discharge home 36 hrs after my C-section.

However, about 6 months ago i started getting back pain and those strange neuro sympotoms that i'm sure we have all experienced...like cold drips running down your leg, tingling feet, less sensation. I have returned to see my Neurosurgeon and he has MRI'd me and found my spinal cord scar tissue ahs settled down and my cord looks healthier than ever BUT a proportion of my spinal cord has adhered onto my spine. Hence causing me pain, burning and discomfort in my back and legs.

Now i wonder if this is from me over doing it or whether it due to nerves coming back to life...ie: this pain has always been there but the numbness around my scarring has deaded the pain...does that make sense??

Anyway would love to hear from anyone who's had a spinal cord herniation to compare stories (not disc herniation)

Look forward to hearing from you, K.xxx
mumoftwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote