Thread: Metanx
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

If you search Metanx here you'll find posts on PN about it.

It is a medical food, and not a drug and does not have DRUG FDA approval. Medical foods are a separate category at the FDA.

It has high dose methylfolate, activated B6, and methylcobalamin in it. You should take it on empty stomach if you want the benefits of the B12. That is all it is.

Here is the insert:
http://www.metanx.com/helpful-resources/package-insert/

The antibiotic statement is near the end. I have not heard of this statement before.
Quote:
Drugs added to Metanx®: Antibiotics may alter the intestinal microflora and may decrease the absorption of methylcobalamin. Cholestyramine, colchicines or colestipol may decrease the enterohepatic re-absorption of methylcobalamin. Metformin, para-aminosalicylic acid and potassium chloride may decrease the absorption of methylcobalamin.
I'll have to search this quote. B12 is excreted in the bile, and some may be reabsorbed in the intestine, but that has always been unclear in most of what I have read...not proven therefore.

It is always best to take methylB12 on an empty stomach...for best absorption.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote