Thread: Metanx
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Mrs D for your comments/insights, as usual. I am excited because its something new. At least something new is prescribed to me. Anything that is new gives me hope for improvement.
I am in a dilemma, though, to start because of the vit b12 component. I have bloodworks in May that include vitB12, I want to get my real numbers without supplementation.

Btw, I am taking vit d3 because Rifampin, one of my antibiotics affect the absorption of vit d3 and you know what my number last march 7---it's 66.5 (Vit D, 25-hydroxy). I'm taking 4000mg+. I'm happy that its a good number, unfortunately it does not help my pain. I still take it for my lungs.

Thank you for all your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
If you search Metanx here you'll find posts on PN about it.

It is a medical food, and not a drug and does not have DRUG FDA approval. Medical foods are a separate category at the FDA.

It has high dose methylfolate, activated B6, and methylcobalamin in it. You should take it on empty stomach if you want the benefits of the B12. That is all it is.

Here is the insert:
http://www.metanx.com/helpful-resources/package-insert/

The antibiotic statement is near the end. I have not heard of this statement before.

I'll have to search this quote. B12 is excreted in the bile, and some may be reabsorbed in the intestine, but that has always been unclear in most of what I have read...not proven therefore.

It is always best to take methylB12 on an empty stomach...for best absorption.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote