View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Karon,

What exactly is your periodontist doing for you? What treatment? What oral hygiene regimen has he recommended?

It's important for the dentist to explain to the patient what the goal of treatment will be so that you have an understanding of what he is trying to achieve. What does he say about future dental implants? Have you had that discussion with your periodontist?

In most cases, dental implants should not be put in until the bone from the extractions has healed for 3-6 months. Patients who have periodontal disease, sometimes need to wait longer.

It is imperative that the bone be healthy before implants are placed and there needs to be adequate bone to hold the implant. Bone grafting is helpful but it too needs bone to hold it in place while your own bone grows into it. The graft cannot be placed on top of or along side the bone it needs to be placed into the bone. If you have extensive bone loss, then there may not be enough bone to hold a graft or an implant. What does your periodontist say about all of this?

When teeth are very loose due to periodontal disease, this means that the bacteria has destroyed the bone causing a reduction in the level of bone making it flatter. Has your dentist informed you about this?

I know you are upset about your dental situation and you want to trust in your periodontist to treat you properly. It is so important for you to understand what he is doing, what he is recommending and why.

With regard to not feeling well.... yes anxiety can cause all sorts of ill health. Especially if you are not well to begin with. Periodontal disease affects the whole body. It is necessary to be thorough with your oral hygiene regimen but it's also necessary to take care of the rest of you as well .....through nutrition, clean drinking water, and spiritually to help keep the anxiety in check.

Do you feel that your periodontist is listening to you?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karoncurran View Post
Hi Bryanna,

I seem to be getting nowhere with my periodontist and after visiting him today I feel extremely frustrated and upset. I last saw him 5 months ago when he gave me a hygiene regime to follow, told me to go back to my dentist to get some fillings done and then come back and see him.

I have done all of this and he told me today to carry on with the dental regime and come back in a month. He also said that it would take him up to a year to get my mouth healthy.

I wanted to have my upper teeth out and implants put in at the beginning of July because some of my teeth are so loose that I don'T feel that they will last much longer.

From what I see on the Internet, I could go through all sorts of periodontal treatment which will may help but there is quite a lot to suggest that the best thing to do,would be to have the teeth extracted.

The other thing that concerns me is that I really don't feel very well and I'm not sure whether this is simply due to worry or the gum disease. My stomach feels very uncomfortable and I am very low in myself. I have become a bit of a hermit and feel very depressed. I have been to my doctor and he has suggested talking therapy but I know that until I resolve this situation no amount of talking will be of any use.

I think my periodontist wants to see the inflammation reduce before he derides the teeth. If I can get him to agree to do this next time I see him and it can be done before the end of June, do you think I would be able to have the implants done in July?

I need to make a decision by Thursday as I'm going to get the funding sorted out.

Sorry to be such a pain.

Kind regards

Karon
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote