View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Samantha,

I'm sorry you have gone through so much pain. You traveled 6 hours to a dentist??? That's unreal! The advice that you received from those "holistic" dentists surprises me as they usually are more apt to remove root canaled teeth because they know they are infected. Perhaps their idea of holistic has little to do with oral infection and systemic health. I am glad however that you found someone else who was better informed.

Considering the length of time those teeth were chronically infected and that the scan showed a communication with the sinuses... what did the last dentist say about the sinus when he removed the teeth?

It is reasonable to have pain after these two teeth are extracted. You had a long term chronic infection in both of these teeth... the one dentist stirred up the infection by scraping the area which did nothing but add insult to injury...then having both teeth removed and the bone surgically debrided also creates additional inflammation.

Also, it is not unusual to feel referred pain or for other teeth in the same quadrant to start hurting because they all share the same bundles of nerves and ligaments. So if you can imagine all that this area of your mouth has been through, it is understandable to have pain until it all calms down.

It is important to follow the post operative instructions. Do not rinse with any chemical mouthwash, only warm salt water. Eat a soft nutritious diet and drink plenty of filtered water.

Are you still on the antibiotic and pain meds?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJ View Post
Hello,
I am a new member and see that you have a vast amount of information on dental issues and was wondering if I could get your take on my situation. Tooth#2 had a root canal 12 years ago and #3 had a root canal 3 years ago. 6 weeks ago I developed a pressure feeling right between these 2 teeth and it initially felt as if I had something caught down in the gum tissue. Went to my regular dentist who did a root planing and scaling of the teeth and told me that if that didn't fix the problem they would see me for a root canal re-treat. It did not get better and the pressure became much more including the roof of my mouth near #2 and #3 was sensitive to hot and cold and it was hurting pretty good. Decided to find a holistic dentist for a 2nd opinion. He took a 3D scan and told me that there was an inactive infection that reached into my sinus cavity but was all fine now and that I just needed my bite adjusted and that my pain would go away. It did not go away, in fact it intensified with my neck being so stiff I could barely move it, my face felt like it was in an ever tightening vise grip, my ears were feeling like I was losing my hearing, low grade fever, lips and tongue slight swelling and just was so fatigued with a lot of brain fog. Another week went by and I went back to the holistic dentist and begged to have #2 and #3 removed to take care of the pain. He said there was no way the pain could be coming from them because the nerves were gone and he became very exasperated with me and gave me a referral to an oral surgeon, though he did give me a prescription for amoxicillian and pain pills and told me it could be my sinuses. I asked him if he could speak with the oral surgeon to request a holistic extraction (periodontal ligament and surrounding area properly cleaned) but I could see that at this point it was now time for me to get another opinion. I did find another holistic dentist a 6 hour drive from me which I traveled too. Again, they said they didn't see anything on the X-rays but could understand that I felt that a root canal wasn't healthy. He agreed to pull them and was shocked when he saw that #2 had a huge abcess sac pressing in between 2 and 3. He removed both teeth, removed the ligaments, and cleaned the surrounding bone. It has now been 48 hours since the extractions and I am feeling as if I have phantom tooth pain. It feels just like between 2 & 3 but of course they are gone. Is this normal? If so how long does this last? The good thing is that I can move my neck now, and my hearing and sense of smell have returned.
Thank you,
Samantha
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-19-2013)