View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There are some really helpful and touching things in these posts. My daughter is definitely frustrated by people not understanding, especially on my husband's side of the family. I don't have RSD, but I've had fibromyalgia/CFS for many years, and this applies to me, too. I think I will send some of these beautifully-written lines to my in-laws.

I especially like:

Quote:
Sometimes I want to talk about my illness sometimes I don't, so please don't roll your eyes when I talk about my pain and please don't pressure me to "get it off my chest" when I just want to pretend it doesn't exist.

Please Understand
the difference between "happy" and "healthy".
When you've got the flu you probably feel miserable with it, but I've been sick for years.
I can't be miserable all the time, in fact I work hard at not being miserable.
So if you're talking to me and I sound happy, it means I'm happy. That's all. I may be tired I may be in pain. I may be sicker than ever.
Please, don't say, "Oh, you're sounding better!" as if I'm healed. I am not sounding better, I am sounding happy. Tomorrow I may sound worse again.

Please understand
that being able to function for an hour doesn't necessarily mean that I can keep it up all day. Doing everyday things, that everyone else takes for granted, exhausts my resources and I need to recover.
Imagine an athlete after a race. They couldn't repeat that feat right away either.
With a lot of diseases you're either paralyzed or you can move. With this one it gets more confusing. Maybe today, I can handle work and home, tomorrow it may be one or the other but not both. There is actually a name for this it's called postactivity payback and it sucks.
So, please try to keep in mind that I don't function like everyone else and just because I can do it today doesn't mean I can do it everyday.

Please understand
that chronic illnesses are variable. It's quite possible (for me, it's common) that one day I am able to walk to the park and back, while the next day I'll have trouble getting to the kitchen.
Please don't attack me when I'm ill by saying, "But you did it before!".
If you want me to do something, ask if I can and I'll tell you.
In a similar vein, I may need to cancel an invitation at the last minute, if this happens please don't take it personally.
... and here I am, pretty much quoting everything! It's just so well-written and expresses what I feel so well.
SloRian is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote