View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes, I have heard (many times) of gum and/or dental working leading to nerve pain (trigeminal neuralgia or atypical trigeminal neuralgia). I have not heard of it causing bodily pain. However, I wouldn't be totally surprised. AND I suspect it could worsen any underlying illnesses, particularly any autoimmune problems.

I had very bad pain after some questionable dental work. Further dental work was conducted in an effort to correct this. At some point, I had a tooth pulled and a dental graft put in. Oddly, afterward, I was determined to have Sjogren's Syndrome. I already had some mild symptoms of this auto immune disease prior, but the symptoms worsened immediately after the graft was placed. But, worse than this, my bad pain actually worsened and became 24/7 horrible pain. It was then diagnosed as atypical trigeminal neuralgia. I suspect my situation is a little on the complicated side, but sadly, not all that uncommon. Seems what often happens is that nerve pain is "set off" at the dentist's offfice by some error, but it is not diagnosed properly. Then, frightingly, further dental work is performed in an attempt to correct the problem, only worsening the nerve pain.

REgarding dental grafts, I belong to a website where Sjorgrens Syndrome is discussed and there is concern that dental bone grafts might excacerbate autoimmune sickness.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote