View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi SNFgirl,

Did you have a gum graft or a bone graft done? If it was a gum graft, where did they take the donor tissue from? Where in your mouth was the grafted tissue placed? Was this graft done to cover gum recession? Have you had these done in the past?

I'm in dentistry for 35 yrs and I believe that there are quite a few people who encounter various degrees of "neurological" pain after some dental procedures. Not necessarily because the procedure was done incorrectly but because there were other underlying issues that were not diagnosed or realized prior to the dental work being done. Other times yes, it could result from something that the dentist did during the procedure. Unfortunately, many people never say a word about what they have experienced post operative unless they are specifically asked how they did after the procedure. So I think this problem goes undiagnosed or eventually misdiagnosed more times than is realized.

Most of the time from what patients report... the neurological symptoms subside completely in time. The length of time varies from person to person. Other times the problem will have various symptoms and pain for a very long time... could be permanent in some cases. I think underlying disorders not related to dentistry may be a predisposition for some people. But that is just my own speculation.

How did you come about the diagnosis of Small Fiber Neuropathy? Where was your trigeminal nerve pain? Again, what type of graft was it and where was the graft done?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNgirl View Post
4 months prior to diagnosis of small fiber neuropathy, I had an extensive gum graft. While testing for various neurological causes of nerve pain, I also had an attack of my trigeminal nerve, which remains unexplained. I now have pain and burning almost body wide from the SFN. Prior to the gum graft, i have never had any neurological issue or pain. Has anyone heard of gum work causing neuropathy?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote