View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi malawi,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some factual information here.
The fact that your dentist couldn't find any odd on this tooth is irrelevant. The tooth is root canaled, therefore, it is infected. All root canaled teeth harbor bacteria that is infectious. The most serious side to what you have has to do with the location of this tooth. Infection and/or any type of oral swelling from an infection in the lower posterior region of the jaw can literally travel to your throat which could close off your airway. So it is imperative to have this tooth removed asap.

There is no "curing" this infection other than to remove the source of the infection which is the tooth. To keep the tooth means to keep the infection.

In your case, it is best to extract this tooth while you are on these antibiotics because there will be quite a bit of infection at the site and you will want to be covered by the antibiotic.

Please don't way to take care of this. You will be okay. Keep us posted.......
Bryanna

PS.... See an oral surgeon to remove this NOT a general dentist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malawi View Post
Hi guys,

I came across your thread on the internet after trying to research what could be going on in my mouth. After reading various posts I am convinced I have a fistula and am a little comforted by the fact that there is an answer to what I am going through and it's not mouth cancer. Okay, here is my situation: I had a root canal done on what I think is called tooth 32. I also had the tooth capped this was in November 2012. Around Christmas I started experiencing pain in the tooth. I went to the dentist in january. He xrayed and said he couldn't see anything odd but put me on a course of antibiotics saying if the tooth responded it was likely to be bacterial and he could open the crown and clean the tooth. I didn't like the sound of that so kinda ignored the problem. Now, the fistula has grown and I need to do something about it. I am on a course of antibiotics and will be returning to the dentist on Tuesday. Please advise me what I should do? From your posts it seems that the best option is to extract? I appreciate your help.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
malawi (05-12-2013)