Thread: Bright side
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bright side

Coming up on six months of PCS here, and today I'm aware of some bright sides to my story. Yet only a few short months ago, my days were quite consumed with anxiety. Through no fault of our own, I believe, our anxiety is a biological response to the head trauma. Through no merit of my own, the anxiety seems to be lessening as time wears on. Healing is at work in my brain and I'm so grateful today.

Some wonderful surprises have come into my life since being injured.

One of them is my love of baking. I had no idea I was like this but I seem to have unlocked my inner Betty Crocker. This may not seem like a big deal unless you've had the misfortune of being my friend in real life. I'm the one who would show up at a potluck with something out of a box that I likely picked up on the way to the event and didn't even bother trying to disguise it as my own creation.

How this affects my son is amazing to behold. He has begun baking with me. He is excited now to have time with me, to create. He will even do dishes with me when before that would have been a battle.

I've noticed more changes in him as well. Less screen time, more Lego time and imaginary play. Because our home is calmer, quieter, I notice him reading more often and hugging me more often.

And did you know... instead of the chaotic pace before bedtime (when I'd be packing lunches for school and work, getting clothes ready etc) I've slowed down somehow by just being afforded more hours in a day... And my son and I have rekindled our routine of praying together before sleep. My heart just feels like dancing about this one.

So many bright sides to this story. Gifts from heaven, if you ask me.

Another is my new love of silence. It's no longer needed as badly as it was in the beginning but I crave it. Silence settles me. I'm that kind of person now. I was formerly the one cranking music, telling a loud story, restless within myself to be constantly entertained or entertaining, never satisfied to just "be". I believe this has led to a calmer, more inviting home for my son.

Can six months change a person? I'd say so. Right now I have the luxury of a slow schedule of therapy and another six weeks until I return to work, where the pace will threaten to swallow this new me, and revert to the old me. I'd say the old me was delusional, contented only on the surface with her chaotic pace. She was desperate to slow down and I believe God afforded a way. Though discipline is never pleasant at the time, it is from my Father who loves me.

I pray I never forget the lessons this has taught me. I no longer miss the "old" me, as I believe this new me is actually improved.

I thought Sunday was a great day to share a bright side post. What are your bright side moments?
About it: October 26, 2012 I fell backward on an icy parking lot at work. I was on Workers Comp for 9 months. My PCS : everyday headaches became once in a while headaches, and neck pain became manageable. Still have occasional mild dizziness, sometimes fullness in the ears, convergence insufficiency, sequencing struggles, short term memory struggles, verbal processing delays. CT neg, MRI neg. Therapies: prism glasses, acupuncture, icing neck, resting, supplementing, Elavil 20mg at bedtime.

NEW: Completed 12 weeks of physical therapy and returned to work full time.

About me: I'm a marketing manager, a mom with a blended family and wife to a heart attack survivor. I believe my brain injury taught me more than it cost me. I'm grateful to still be me!
MsRriO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon22217 (04-21-2013), Brain patch (04-22-2013), Keepin'TheFaith07 (04-21-2013), Lightrail11 (04-22-2013), Mark in Idaho (04-21-2013), Mokey (04-21-2013), poetrymom (04-21-2013), Su seb (04-21-2013), Virginia in Canada (04-22-2013)