Thread: Trying to cope
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks, Mokey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokey View Post
Yes. I know exactly what you are going through. A lot of that is related to brain injury, not necessarily depression, although that is common.

We are our brain, so injury can affect ALL parts of our life...our thoughts, motivations, feelings, desires, etc.

I struggle with denial, acceptance, and trying to find the sweet spot - refusing to give up, accepting I had a terrible injury, wanting to do more, or accepting I still need to heal.

On a side note...I have tried amantadine (100mgs) a few different times ...for me it helps get past what you have described. It affects my sleep, so i have gone off it when I really feel the insomnia is too much. BUT! I had to try it again because my past three weeks since stopping have been really awful....lethargy, headaches, no energy, sitting in a room alll day, not able to have energy for my kids. Three days back on it, and I notice a difference again. If you can tolerate it, I would suggest you talk to your doctor about it. Lots of research that supports using it,,,,has been around sunce the 60s and is well tolerated by most people. It works on the dopamine levels....neurotransmittors....etc. Let me know if you have any questions,
In the meantime be kind to yourself.
I am already on Adderall for my ADHD, tried upping the dose but couldn't tolerate it. I used to on Wellbutrin and it really worked for me, but several doctors have told me its not usually prescribed along with Adderall.
This sucks because it's the only thing that's ever helped me. I'm not sure that my new doc would prescribe it. Anyway, you'd think the Adderall would help with the lethargy and it does most days, but not enough!

Wish there was more I could do to address this problem . . .
I have recovered my cognitive function, and I've overcome severe vertigo through sensory integration therapy. Wellbutrin has helped me escape depression. I have recently had a few stress-related migraines, as well as headaches stemming from eye strain. I'm also dealing with tinnitus, lack of stamina, extreme light sensitivity, and eye pain. Diagnosed with 9 different vision issues: convergence insufficiency, pursuit eye movement deficit, egocentric visual midline shift, photophobia, visual information processing delays, accommodative insufficiency, saccadic eye movement deficit, lack of coordination, and central peripheral visual integration deficit.

*First concussion: October 2010. I was pregnant and got rear ended. I associated my mild PCS symptoms with baby brain and blamed my light sensitivity on allergies and dry eyes.
*Second concussion: December 2011. I hit my head on a wooden beam, saw stars but did not lose consciousness, and I had very disturbing PCS symptoms but didn't go to the doctor.
*Third concussion: August 2012. I caused a car accident as a result of PCS symptoms. Thankfully no one was injured but me. My husband confronted me, and I finally sought help and took medical leave from work. My symptoms worsened, and I developed severe vertigo.
*Fourth concussion: November 2012. I was riding in a car with a friend and we were hit head on by a driver who lost control of her car. I didn't have a big increase in PCS symptoms.
DFayesMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote