Thread: Trying to cope
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It's brave of you to talk about this. I think many here can understand. I'm still in the first six months (sorry I can't remember how far along you are in your PCS struggle) and have noticed such a wide variety of symptoms that come and go, it's impossible to know if it's all PCS related.

I guess what I try to do lately (to spare myself added anxiety that causes worsening symptoms) is address the symptom without trying to determine if its from PCS or not because it doesn't really solve it any faster, know what I mean?

I think you should give yourself the same compassion you show other people and cut yourself some slack. Be your own good listener! You deserve a good friend like you! You may be suffering some depression, and the chicken/egg quandary of whether its caused by PCS or inactivity won't make you feel any better, any faster. It may just be a slump but from the sounds of it, it's the kind of apathy and lack of motivation that would be classified as depression. I'm no expert, I just really relate to your post.

Strangely enough I relate not because of PCS but years before I was injured, I had major depression. Your post sounds like the self doubt and guilt that I felt back then. There is always help and hope.

Something I find interesting especially among us moms:

People who suffer mental illness often fight the good fight with the uninformed masses, shouting "it's not weakness! It's not a choice!" from the rooftops if we are supporting someone else's struggle. But amid our own thoughts, about ourselves, when no one but us can hear, I think we blame ourselves. We seem to need a syndrome to blame for our depression when in itself it's an illness, not a choice. Mechanically our brains are not coping with life, yet we blame ourselves. That's like blaming the driver for ditching the car when the brakes fail. What else was the driver supposed to do? Mechanically, the support system didn't work!

For example if you think your mood and motivation is affected by PCS you feel more justified than if it's not. Is that because, without PCS as the cause, you blame yourself for not feeling well, in your own quiet thoughts? Not trying to get you to answer, just trying to get you to give yourself a break. The same grace you show other people, show to yourself. I think posting your story was so awesome. You seem like you suspect you may need more "mechanical" help, and I think you should seek it. And I think you need a hug!

Hope this helps, even just to know that with or without PCS, it's a relatable tale.
About it: October 26, 2012 I fell backward on an icy parking lot at work. I was on Workers Comp for 9 months. My PCS : everyday headaches became once in a while headaches, and neck pain became manageable. Still have occasional mild dizziness, sometimes fullness in the ears, convergence insufficiency, sequencing struggles, short term memory struggles, verbal processing delays. CT neg, MRI neg. Therapies: prism glasses, acupuncture, icing neck, resting, supplementing, Elavil 20mg at bedtime.

NEW: Completed 12 weeks of physical therapy and returned to work full time.

About me: I'm a marketing manager, a mom with a blended family and wife to a heart attack survivor. I believe my brain injury taught me more than it cost me. I'm grateful to still be me!
MsRriO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (04-24-2013), DFayesMom (04-22-2013), Mokey (04-22-2013), poetrymom (04-22-2013), Su seb (04-24-2013)