View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If your sister has PN and isn't diabetic, that may be very significant. Mine was early onset with cluminess, an inability to run, skate, or jump since childhood, but no pain. I am extremely tall and large boned so very strong which compensated somewhat during my young adult years, raising a big family.

As other have mentioned, first PN symptoms began with numbness in toes which spread upwards, beginning in my 30's, along with balance problems, ankle weakness, and a tendency to trip on curbs, etc. I spent years attributing leg pain and weakness/fatigue to varicose veins, phlebitis, etc. before being sent to a neurologist by my podiatrist. I had developed a seriously infected callous without knowing it and the debridment and cleaning up was done without any anesthetic, I was that insensate. It was already pretty severe. Like Echoes, my numbness is above the kness now.

I would definitely pursue the question of a hereditary neuropathy with your doctor. My own belief is that a lot of idiopathic cases are actually hereditary.
Hope you get more info soon!
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote