View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Starr,

As disappointing your report may be compared to your hopes, the recommendations at the bottom would apply to me exactly. My only change would be, Do not try to multi-task. It just sets me up for failure. Probably the same for you.

That comment "1. Taking extra time to process information when conditions require multi tasking or selective attention (conditions of distraction or interference)." basically means to learn to Stop to Think. This is a fabulous skill to learn and make a habit.

I need to use this Stop to Think frequently. If I do not use it proactively, I get myself into trouble. The normal or hurried pace of mental processing means I tend to crash and forget all of the information. If I slow down and Stop to Think, I can keep the thought in my mind so I can complete the mental processing. Sometimes, this requires that I write down the second step or have someone remind me of the next step.

You should try to feel encouraged by this report because it says you are not a faker and have been trying your best. Now, you can put that best in context with your brain's ability.

I have learned a new Work-around. I usually have my laptop in front of me when I am on the phone. I open a Word or WordPad document and take notes about my phone conversation. I can type faster than I can write legibly. There is a Word Notes or Post It notes application for many computer platforms.

Your intact functions means you have a good foundation to use to develop work-arounds and other coping skills.

Hopefully, this will lead to some help in planning your activities and endeavors. As you set a new set of living environment standards, you have great opportunities to pursue a full and calm, sort of back to nature life. I have found that the natural world has far more to offer those of us with these brain limitations.

If I can ever find a few acres of country land with limited zoning/use limitations, I will be able to set up such a lifestyle.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
"Starr" (04-22-2013), Brain patch (04-22-2013), MiaVita2012 (04-22-2013), Mokey (04-22-2013), MommaBear (04-23-2013), Su seb (04-24-2013), TBI/PTSD (05-02-2013)