View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailz View Post
Hi all I could do with your advice please, for a month I have had a constant pain behind my left eye, it never ever goes, I have been to the emergency room as the pain changes frequently from moderate to severe to a point where I feel like I am being stabbed, I get dizzy and feel very sick, then it eases and returns to a dull moderate. Sometimes when I touch my cheek and nose they feel tender but not always, I have had 2 lots of anti-biotics, migraine medication, and today after another visit to emergency I was given extra strong pain killers that don't even touch it. I had a ct which was clear. I am waiting the results of a MRI. My doctor started me on tablets for trigeminal neuralgia, I was on them a week and the pain seemed to ease however after a week I saw my neurologist and he told me to stop taking them as TN does not present with persistent pain? I feel worse after stopping them could he be wrong? One doctor thought I may have optic neuritis but my eye exam showed no inflammation so it was disregarded. I'm really worried as I am in so much pain. Any ideas what this could be? A month is a long time for constant pain thank you
A month is definitely a long time to be in pain and have no answers! First of all, typical TN unusually doesn't have constant pain (though I did for awhile) but "atypical" TN does. And usually if the meds for TN help that is considered confirmation of the diagnosis. Hang in there. You might want to get a second or even third opinion (seek out other neurologists). I hope you get relief soon!