Thread: Trying to cope
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFayesMom View Post
They said I could space it out during the day but that would be up to me. I chose to try to do it all at the end because they make my eyes hurt a lot and I didn't want it ruining my whole day! Bad idea. Lesson learned!

I'm doing okay today. I'm keeping track of what i'm doing so I stay self aware, because having a set schedule hasn't been working well, nor has flying by the seat of my pants (as my pants seem to be Velcroed to my recliner). If I keep a record of my day, it makes me aware of how much time I'm wasting not enjoying life or at least being productive. Today, I can proudly say I've only wasted 50 minutes of time staring blankly and wishing I could get up and do something. It's an improvement. I'm going to do a little vacuuming and then reward myself with some time out on my front porch reading and writing before my daughter gets home! Then my husband and I are going to take my daughter outside to ride her trike at a local park.

Even when things aren't going my way, I still have to embrace happiness wherever I can find it. Depression isn't a choice, but how I cope with it is up to me. I am choosing to fight it tooth and nail!

I hope everyone has a good day!
I too have been struggling with some depression due to my TBI. It has completely changed my lifestyle. I can't do the things I love to do anymore: lift weights, run, socialize, go out for some beers with my friends, etc. My fatigue keeps me from accomplishing much else. In the end I am trying to stay positive because I know I will not be like this forever and I will get better. I refuse to give up and let my TBI keep me from everything that makes me happy.

Good luck to you!
I was in a snowboarding accident on January 19, 2013. I caught an edge on my snowboard while carving down the mountain without a helmet. I smacked the back of my head hard on the ground. I was not knocked out and it took about a week for symptoms to come into full effect.

Since my accident I have been in a cycle of feeling better and then relapsing. It has happened many times. Although I think the overall trend is slowly traveling up. My symptoms included headaches, anxiety, sensitivity to light and noise, dizziness, fatigue, confusion, trouble concentrating, brain fog, loss of social interest, irritability, and mood swings.

Many symptoms have since resolved and I am left with slight dizziness, sensitivity to large crowds and busy environments, small amounts of anxiety, and brain fog off and on.

I am currently under the care of a neuropsychologist at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Clinic. I am also undergoing balance/vestibular physical therapy to help with my remaining symptoms.
Tpont21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (04-24-2013), DFayesMom (04-23-2013), Mokey (04-23-2013), poetrymom (04-23-2013)