Thread: Calmare Therapy
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriZ View Post
For my daughter (who had 2 1/2 weeks of treatment), it never lasted more than a few hours after the treatment. Although I don't know the details, her friend had treatment 3x (each one lasting 1-2 weeks), and although she has said she thought it was helpful, I know she still has significant pain that is making it hard for her to go to school.
I'm so sorry to hear that It certainly isn't a magic bullet, but from what I've heard and experienced, I think it's much better than the rep it has. I think a big part of why some treatments don't work as well is that it is so new that there just isn't a lot of experience out there. If there really is merit in it, the treatment record will get better over time - we'll just have to wait and see. Also there seems to be a wide variety in the level of the practitioners (there are non-certified practitioners out there) and how they do the treatments (whether they stay and do it themselves, or hand it off to a tech). I know it's heartbreaking and frightening to try any new treatment - we certainly went into it with a negative outlook ("it won't work for us"), which is why our good results are even more of a positive testimonial. I'm so sorry your results weren't very good. Was your doctor certified, and did he/she do all the treatments?

Anyway, any information is useful to pass around, both good experiences and bad experiences.

Quote:
Both kids have pain in multiple limbs and I have also heard anecdotally that it seems to work better if the pain is limited to one limb.
Yes, I've heard that, too, but my doctor has had good success with even whole body, but finds that it just takes a longer first treatment period, and more booster treatments. His main problem has been with people on ketamine. He has limited, but still worthwhile, results with them.

Your comment about school reminded me to post some info on a school program that has been extremely helpful to my daughter - the 504 plan. I'll start a new thread on that - please take a look when you get a chance, because it might help with school difficulties.