View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegu65 View Post
Tpont21,

It sounds like you and I were in an accident around the same time. I was in a taxi cab crash in New York City. The driver lost control of the car on a bridge and I don't remember a thing about what happened. Shortly after that there was a death in my family, so i had to kind of put the accident/recovery on the back burner to deal with everything else. I don't mean this to be a sob story . I'm interested in comparing some of what I've been feeling, though, with someone who has been through something similar. I feel as though there are...holes in my brain, if that makes any sense. I think of a kind of lattice, as though there are things missing. I'm incredibly moody, spacey; I feel unreal a lot. I have constant headaches and concentrating for long periods of time (I'm an editor), is often a source of anguish. I forget things--but strange things. For example, I realized the other day that I had absolutely no idea how a book I read quite recently ended. I even debated whether I'd read the ending. This for me is strange, because I remember things like this. I'm also obsessed with the accident itself, like if I remember what happened, things will make sense. Anyway, that's me...Like I said, I'm just looking to compare experiences since it seems like no one who hasn't been through this really understands what I'm saying. And most of the time I just say "Oh, the car accident? That's old news. I'm totally fine." I feel like I'm whining anytime I complain or talk about it--even to my therapist. Anyways...
Tegu,

The symptoms you mentioned are very similar to mine. Trouble concentrating and feeling "spacey" is normal for a concussed individual. With time you will feel better but you must be patient.

I know my main problem in my recovery was that I was trying to be too physical too fast and not give my brain enough time to heal properly. I kept going back to lifting weights and running when my brain wasn't ready, and it let me know by continuously relapsing.

Now I have worked to reduce much stress in my life, cut down to half days at work, stopped all physical activity except walking, and focused some attention to providing my body with good nutrition and I am starting to feel better. Right now I am at the point where I wave back and forth from having almost no symptoms to feeling symptoms again.

For example, last evening I felt great. I pretty much felt like my old self again. Now today at work I don't feel as well. It just takes time.

Take care of yourself, and put everything else on the backburner until you are better. Your health and getting better should be a top priority right now over almost everything including your job. It is okay to lean on people for support. I know my mother has helped me so much since my injury. Sometimes it feels good just to talk to people.

I found this forum made me feel much better because it made me realize what I am feeling is normal and I am not alone. It has provided many tips that I found helpful including taking some extra vitamins and icing my neck.

Good luck in your recovery.
I was in a snowboarding accident on January 19, 2013. I caught an edge on my snowboard while carving down the mountain without a helmet. I smacked the back of my head hard on the ground. I was not knocked out and it took about a week for symptoms to come into full effect.

Since my accident I have been in a cycle of feeling better and then relapsing. It has happened many times. Although I think the overall trend is slowly traveling up. My symptoms included headaches, anxiety, sensitivity to light and noise, dizziness, fatigue, confusion, trouble concentrating, brain fog, loss of social interest, irritability, and mood swings.

Many symptoms have since resolved and I am left with slight dizziness, sensitivity to large crowds and busy environments, small amounts of anxiety, and brain fog off and on.

I am currently under the care of a neuropsychologist at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Clinic. I am also undergoing balance/vestibular physical therapy to help with my remaining symptoms.
Tpont21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote