Thread: Top 5 PCS tips.
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My top 5 tips:

1. Be patient. Realize that with time you will get better. Recovery is a marathon and not a sprint. Trying to go back to activities too soon will impede your progress. Listen to what your body is telling you.

2. Don't worry! The symptoms you are feeling are normal for a concussed individual. Worrying causes anxiety which makes everything worse and makes recovery more difficult. Become at peace with your symptoms and have faith things will get better.

3. Prioritize. Make your recovery a priority in your life. Do whatever you have to do. Stop working, cut your hours, stop drinking alcohol, focus on your diet, etc.

4. Reduce stress. This is a biggie. I know sometimes it is hard to reduce stress but do your best. Stress can cause relapses. Take deep breaths. Do some light yoga or go for a walk.

5. Focus on nutrition. Your brain needs quality nutrients to repair itself. Drink lots of water, avoid soda and alcohol. Gulp down the vegetables. Eat lean proteins and healthy fats. And check out the vitamin thread and consider adding in some B and D vitamins in your diet.
I was in a snowboarding accident on January 19, 2013. I caught an edge on my snowboard while carving down the mountain without a helmet. I smacked the back of my head hard on the ground. I was not knocked out and it took about a week for symptoms to come into full effect.

Since my accident I have been in a cycle of feeling better and then relapsing. It has happened many times. Although I think the overall trend is slowly traveling up. My symptoms included headaches, anxiety, sensitivity to light and noise, dizziness, fatigue, confusion, trouble concentrating, brain fog, loss of social interest, irritability, and mood swings.

Many symptoms have since resolved and I am left with slight dizziness, sensitivity to large crowds and busy environments, small amounts of anxiety, and brain fog off and on.

I am currently under the care of a neuropsychologist at the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Clinic. I am also undergoing balance/vestibular physical therapy to help with my remaining symptoms.
Tpont21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
concussedlawyer (05-03-2013), Mokey (04-24-2013)