View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 06:32 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Here is a Wiki on Taurine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine

Taurine is not really an "amino acid" per se.

It does have lots of actions in the brain and for heart muscle.
Quote:
Taurine crosses the blood–brain barrier[23][24][25] and has been implicated in a wide array of physiological phenomena including inhibitory neurotransmission,[26] long-term potentiation in the striatum/hippocampus,[27] membrane stabilization,[28] feedback inhibition of neutrophil/macrophage respiratory burst, adipose tissue regulation and possible prevention of obesity,[29][30] calcium homeostasis,[31] recovery from osmotic shock,[32] protection against glutamate excitotoxicity[33] and prevention of epileptic seizures.[34]
There is an long bibliography on the wiki article to consult.
The glutamate protection is very important for brain injured people, (including stroke), as glutamate is released from damaged neurons, leading to cell death.

I use taurine for gall bladder issues. It will complex cholesterol and help prevent gall stones, and it improves bile flow for those with "sluggish gallbladders"

I get mine at Puritan's Pride...where it is very inexpensive.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote