Thread: itchy dog
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionaskye
I have a wonderful rescue dog, a cairn/jack russell/schnauzer mix. He's a real sweetie who rarely leaves my side, (this does of course, mean that he gets to lie on my bed or sit in my recliner with me). The last few weeks he has been constantly scratching himself, biting at his skin, and licking. I know his flea treatment is up to date, and I have even gone through his fur carefully looking for any survivors, and haven't found anything. Could he be having allergies?
He could be having allergies, but you don't know that he is allergic to grain. Most food allergies are related to the protein not the carbohydrate. There are many skin diseases that affect animals and a true food allergic pet is not first on the list. Flea allergic pets only need to be bitten once and be irritated for days. The dog grooms the flea out and you never see it, but the dog continues to scratch. Maybe it's an inhalant allergy like pollens or mold. Removing grain from the diet will have no effect if it's a pollen allergy. Best of luck to you and your dog.
DonCA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote