View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburton83 View Post
Hi All,

I've just joined as i am having trouble with my Trigeminal Neuralgia flaring up again recently.

I'm a 29 year old male, and I was diagnosed about 2 months ago by my Dentist. I had an attack just before christmas, which was completely out of the blue.. and very painful, which i went to the doctors about. Before going, i'd searched online for what the pain could be (searching for 'electric shock like pain down right side of face') and found Trigeminal Neuraligia, which, when i read about it.. seemed to be exactly what i was experiencing. Never mentioned the possibility of TN to my doctor as i wanted to see what she suggested. All she said was, if it happened again - to go back.

Not overly pleased with what my doctor had to say, i went to see me dentist just to check if they could find anything (actually hoping would be an absess or something!). After a visual examination and having an xray done, they could find nothing dental related that could be causing my pain. She suggested that my pains sounded like something called Trigeminal Neuralgia.. the very thing i had dreaded she was going to say.. and asked for a second opinion from the other dentist at the surgery. This dentist had a medical background and he too said it sounded very much like TN from what i described to him.

I got a referral to the Maxillofacial clinic at the QMC in Nottingham to see a consultant. At this point my pains were horrendous and i had not been eating very well due to the pains i was getting. As the consultant i saw was concerened about the fact i was struggling to eat and drink, i was admitted into hospital where i remained for 3 nights whilst they did a series of checks, in cluding a scan.

The scan did not show any vessel pressing against the nerve or any other possible cause for Trigeminal Neuralgia. What it did show was a large area of my brain which had fluid around (i can't remember the name of it now). They said this was 'arrested hydrocephalus' - and that i would have had this since being a baby, and also that it appeared to have not had any effects on me. They did a series of tests which i did fine completing, and so no reason yet.. as to why i developed TN.

I struggled to come to terms with the fact i have 'the suicide disease' as it is referred to on google.. and i am hoping that something can be done to help with my pain.

I was first put on Carbamazepine which was ok for a while but then i developed a rash and so was taken off it gradually. Then i was put on gabapentin.. which i felt did nothing for my pains and so i asked for something else. I am now on pregabalin. 150mg 4x a day. At first i felt this was doing the job okay.. but now i am only taking 2 of my gabapentin (2x300mg), along with 4x pregabalin (600mg)... i get slightly less intense pains in my face almost continuously. It used to be just when i ate or drank. Now i have a mild kind of numb pain in my lower lip.

Having told my consultant this yesterday, she said to up the gabapentin again back to 3 times a day along with my pregabalin... i'm still waiting for the pain to subside to how it was a week or so ago.

So.. that's where i'm at now. I look forward to reading your thoughts and other people's experiences of Trigeminal Neuralgia. Especially in young males! I read this was more common in middle aged women!

Adam
Adam, my experience is that this is not an easy condition, but you can learn to live with it. I am also a male and first had pain 4.5 years ago. My cause was also very unusual in that I had a tumor in the lining of the brain which was compressing the T nerve in the gap in the skull base that it passes through. I had a major skull base operation (entering from behind my ear) which didn't get all of the tumor and had to have a second operation 9 mths later, entering from the temple. All seemed well then for 2 years, however now the pain has returned even though there is no tumor and the MRI does not show the cause. It is probably permanently damaged nerves and I am back on the drugs. I expect your surgeon will suggest a skull operation to release the fluid causing the compression. Having had 2 operations I can tell you that recovery is pretty quick and all should return to normal. Don't be afraid to have the surgery if they suggest it.
Peter G is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aburton83 (04-30-2013), jjlsongbird (04-29-2013)