View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think explaining inability to do something because it makes you ill is like explaining color blindness. ("Oh hey, but you have to see exactly what I see -- and you call this color by the same name I do so you must have the same experience.")

Even just for heat, I found I had to say "I don't like ..." "I can't" all the time. I'd tell people that technically I "liked" or "wanted" to be in hot places but couldn't if both 1.) I had their attention for long enough and 2.)they might have the intellectual capacity to understand it. (That was rare).

I expected that this might be the distinction you were making. I posted because I can't talk like that and have people get it. I wondered if you deal with sharper people on a regular basis and hadn't been reduced to speaking in the way I must.

The ghostwriting comment was to make light of this distinction, be very silly, and elicit a laugh. Following up on my last post with this detailed explanation is a little more serious than I wanted to be but I feel bad that what I wrote could be interpreted in another manner.

With more specific reference to some of the issues in this thread, you can plug in "can't fly" for "can't be in the heat" above. That's another discussion I've had "fun" with through the years. I've found that people are even less likely to understand that flying can debilitate or kill you than that heat can.

(But yes, despite the fact that I get the distinction, if anyone writes that s/he loves flying -- and that s/he flew with O2 in another post, I may show up with a line or two )
Heat Intolerant is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote