View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have CRPS in my left side, especially my leg and foot, and clothing is a BIG issue!!!! As time goes on and my symptoms have worsened and spread, fashion becomes less important and comfort is everything... I wear the same soft jersey fabric trousers nearly all the time, in two different colours. If I wear different trousers it can only be for a limited time.

I had to shop for shoes today, I've been wearing ultra soft and comfy snow boots, but I can't do that when the weather warms. I selected the shoes in the end based 90% on comfort, and only when I had chosen the style did any colour choice come into it.

The thing is, if I'm not comfortable then my pain levels rise very quickly, to the point where I don't enjoy myself at all and even have to just quit and go home... I'm betting your girlfriend does NOT want that to happen.

I very rarely wear a dress out because I would have to wear smarter shoes...and smart = uncomfortable = pain. I would guess that your GF has a limited choice of clothes she can tolerate, hence the limited wardrobe we sometimes seem to have!!

This is a sticky issue for a woman, because the CRPS will already have seemed to take away so much of the things others take for granted. She may well feel anxious already about her wardrobe, lack of perceived style, comfort etc. I would tread carefully here and see what she would be comfortable with. If you present her with an outfit that you have decided is suitable, she may dislike it for reasons of both/either comfort or style, but not want to let you down or seem awkward by expressing that. She might then not enjoy herself or even suffer because of it.

Tell her the occasion, and let her decide what to wear. Whatever she decides, accept it happily. She will already have been through the wringer just deciding to go, thinking what she can wear, whether it'll hurt and she'll need extra meds before, if you'll like it, if her parents approve, if anyone else notices her 'issues'.....etc etc etc

Sorry if this complicates things!!

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote