View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Su Seb,

Have you tried reading and typing with one eye closed or covered? Maybe alternate eyes to give both exercise.

I have to use the computer screen for my immediate memory. It allows me to quickly look back to see what my thought is. I also type with lots of red squiggly lines that I need to edit. I usually have added extra letters or typed letters out of order (nad for and, docotor for doctor)

I consider my posting to be therapy. The brain training exercises are probably too much until you get your vision issues resolved. I have very slight convergence issues but have had them for decades so I just keep going.

In the early stages, I just typed as the thought came out then reread and organized the sentences. It worked very well. It helped by me not feeling a need to stop and correct as the thoughts flowed. I did reams of typing for my WC claim. Drag and drop, cut and paste, all of the computer functions can be helpful.

Are you proficient at Drag and drop and cut and paste ? I do a lot of highlighting a sentence or phrase then dragging it to where it makes more sense. Left click to highlight, then release then left click to drag to a new location. Release the left click when the cursor is where you want it to be.

I also do a lot of Ctrl X (cut) Ctrl C (copy) and Ctrl V (paste), especially when my hand is shaky.

Research shows that using electronics to communicate can be very beneficial to people struggling with MCI (mild cognitive impairment). It sure helps me. My wife is amazed at how fast I can type with just my index fingers.

Hang in there. These skills will improve with time, either organically (natural healing) or by work-arounds (new skills). Either way, you have a lot to look forward to if you just keep plugging along without any stressful time limits or agenda.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MsRriO (04-30-2013)