View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default LOng Term Post Concussive Effects

That sounds so frustrating my Psychologist told me it would most like take up to three years to heal. I know 3 years after my bad injury and Concussion - I still struggled. I do a lot of community outreach work for AARP. At a conference recently on Dementia there was a top Neurologist from UNC and he said the way to best way to build brain cells was exercise.

I did some work and training with Brain Injured Adults back in '89 and I thought it depended on the injury. From what I have experienced I bet your effects are related- but I am far from a doctor. You may want to review your meds too. I know things change in our bodies, at different periods in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Is it possible for a "mild" head injury to have serious long term effects?

My concussion was over 10 years ago, yet I am still feeling the effects - mostly in the form of bad headaches and extreme mental fatigue. My symptoms get that much worse when I don't get a good enough sleep. For me a "good" sleep is at least 9 1/2 hours without interruption.

This injury has really affected my life. Because of my mental limitations, I work as a security guard; this fact is shocking to people who went to school with me. I have, or at least had, a very high IQ.

I read on Wikipedia that PCS symptoms almost always resolve completely within a year. Why then am I still suffering these effects? I can't even read the newspaper without having to stop what I'm doing.
Dumpling15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote