Thread: New Side Effect
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Side Effect

History: Approximately 9 months ago I had a concussion after using my head as my brakes at about 85mph when the front end of my bike (which was headed off track) dug into the dirt launching me over the front, head first into the packed ground. According to those there, I was out for 2-3 minutes, had medics at my side before I regained consciousness. Although I ended up with a couple days in the hospital, no real internal head injuries for further concern. Sustained a few other, relatively minor injuries (broken arm/hand/fingers, only one bone required surgery, bruised lung, general bruising and trauma).

Until just recently (get to that in a bit) I had no memory from the time I fixated on the dirt until about partway through my chopper ride other than a couple random flashes (which were nothing more than a literal flash). Once my memory "kicked in" it's fairly reliable from there on out - I still felt like crap so it wasn't crystal clear, but it's there.

About a week ago I had the unfortunate experience of riding up on a fresh (on the street) crash - it ended up being a pretty traumatic day for everyone involved. The part that brings me here, however, is the fact that while I was there I had a sliver ("island") memory of my own crash suddenly fill in...I justified that the flash that filled in was similar to what I had experienced, so it made sense.

Problem is, I had another (new) one tonight, for a different piece of the puzzle. Although I was having a brief thought about cars being scary when you're on a bike, it really had nothing to do with the flash that filled in. The problem is not that the blanks are filling in - it's the physical response that's coming with it. For a moment, it seems as if my entire body goes into shock just as the memory returns. Threw me for a loop tonight! I knew it had happened the other day, but with everything else going on, it didn't register as an issue.

I've heard this is an anxiety response, and controlling the triggers (and reactions) is the way to deal with it, but I can't seem to find much useful information on these kinds of things and the practicality of dealing with it.

Does anyone have links or info on the practical side of dealing with this kind of situation?

On a side note, I was back out on the track 4 1/2 weeks after getting my arm put back together, passed my NRS and have my first race this coming weekend! Just don't want some random flashback to cause problems - not real worried about when I'm actually riding since you're pretty focused, but leading up to the start....eh, kinda concerned about keeping my head where it needs to be.
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote