View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My surgeon was Raphael Bueno at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. He was excellent and everyone in the hospital was great. I had three opinions at 3 Boston Hospitals, but after reading the risks of surgery I decided I would be better off with a thoracic surgeon as opposed to an orthopedist, neurosurgeon or vascular surgeon (just my personal opinion). I made the right choice because one of the risks of surgery is pneumothorax (collapsed lung) and I developed one. It happens in about 30% of first rib resections. Dr. Bueno told me he leaves a chest tube in all of his patients while they are under anesthesia and that way if they develop a pneumothorax the tube is there and ready to use to reinflate the lung. If it is not needed it gets pulled the next day. However, orthopedists and vascular surgeons are not trained in chest tube placements. If you develop a pneumothorax after the surgery, as many do, most physicians will put them in with some sedation, but not anesthesia. As a trauma nurse in Boston I have heard the screams of many patients through the years who have chest tubes put in without anesthesia. It is almost a barbaric procedure. So mark my word, you want a surgeon who knows how to do this while you are anesthetized. My husbands friend had a first rib resection ten years ago for TOS and developed a pneumothorax the next day. He said having the chest tube put in while he was awake was far worse than the actual surgery. Whoever you go to, do your research. It is not exactly a small procedure. You want to make sure you go to a skilled surgeon. Best of luck and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdupshoulders View Post
After nearly two years of horrifying pain, I think that I've finally been diagnosed with TOS. I am in Los Angeles and I'm now searching for a surgeon to help me. I know that vascular surgeons perform this often, but I really want a neurosurgeon to perform the operation. In my research, I've found only a few in this area that do the procedure (or at least advertise that they do) and I have no idea how to choose the right one, aside from a brief personal meeting/consult.

None of them accept insurance, they are all considered pioneers in the field, all of them have great reviews and then even more horror stories.

Dr. Sheldon Jordan

Dr. John Knight

Dr. Aaron Filler

Dr. A. Lee Dellon in Nevada & Maryland

Guidance? Aside from telling me to meet with all of them and see who seems the most compassionate and helpful? They each have $500-700 consult fees. Also, any ideas of price ranges of TOS surgeries?

Thanks
Lava1222 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote