View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Zinc and copper deficiency

I just saw my neurologist today (every 6 months since I'm on Tysabri). He is at a big medical school and does research as well. He has been reading research on copper and zinc deficiencies which are associated with demyelinating disorders.

So I had blood drawn to test for copper and zinc! Interesting! Also getting my regular Vitamin D, ferritin, and and B-12 tested.

I learned a few interesting things about Tysabri and the JC virus. He and the NIH are doing research on the JCV antibody test. They used to think the false negative rate was 2.5 %. Now it could be more like 10-12%. In other words, some people who were negative became positive. They are trying to figure out the whys. He's now adding a PCR test for the virus with every infusion (I get them every 8 weeks) which looks for JC virus DNA in your blood. It's a way, on an offhand chance, to pick up the virus in your body if you have a false negative situation going on.

I always learn something new when I see him.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (05-01-2013), GladysD (05-01-2013), Judy2 (05-01-2013), SallyC (04-30-2013)