View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrivingDonald View Post
Hi there,

I am new to this group. I recently diagnosed with MMN months after seeing close to a dozen doctors in different disciplines. Now I just started the first treatment of IVIG with 2g/kg/month. Don't know the efficacy yet.

My question is about applying for LTD from my company. My job demands me to respond promptly with my fast key board typing. But, due to MMN I have lost use of my left hand fingers. which have a huge impact on my response time and operation accuracy. I am worried that I may lose my job because of that. The neurologist suggested that I apply for short term disability leave (STD). But, by doing some self education, I realized that, MMN is not a short term disease. What happens after the 3-6 months is over?

Anyone has experience in applying for, and getting, long term disability(LTD)? I guess what I would like to know is:

Does "drop fingers" qualify for LTD?
How to apply for LTD and what procedures do I need to go through?

Thank you in advance.

Donald
Hi Donald. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm a computer consultant, and used to be an awesome typist. Now I'm thankful that the latest Mac operating system has dictation built in.

I'm self-employed and am adapting to my limitations, such as not being able to do as many hardware jobs and repairs as I used to. All those teeny-weeny screws just don't cooperate when your hands shake! And, as you say, MMN looks to be a long-term thing. Only the very few lucky ones see much of a reversal.
*admin edit*

Last edited by Chemar; 05-14-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: NT guidelines
twitchyfirefly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote