View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I watched the whole video and agree with much of it, including the shoulder stuff (TOS presents differently in all of us). I believe conservative management should be attempted before surgery and the therapist needs to be trained properly in rib mobilization. I wouldn't travel to see this guy expecting a miracle however.

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/08/0...-dc-chapter-1/

Quote:
Team Doctors Chiropractic Treatment and Training Centers has been around for about 57 years. It has been a practice in our family for many years. Since 1986 we have had over 30,000 new patients. From 1992 – 2012 we have had approximately 4,000 new patients with some form of peripheral nerve symptoms originating either in the neck or lower back. Statistically, we have numerous cases of thoracic outlet syndrome. We have had a great amount of experience in working with patients with thoracic outlet syndrome.
Quote:
Conservative therapy vs Surgery

I always start every treatment with a 30 minute deep tissue massage treatment of the shoulders, chest, back neck, arms, forearms, hands and even the skull to warm up the area.

Conservative Management is Challenging because I have found that you have to administer deep tissue for over an hour on the first visit just to get through all the muscles that are compressing the outlet. Insurance doesn’t pay for a visit that long but I do it anyway. I don’t know if other doctors are willing to park over patients this long to get these spasms fully treated.

I have spent up to 30 hours doing deep tissue on severe thoracic outlet syndrome cases. They were headed for surgery and did not want it so you just do what it takes, right?

I know they would have never recovered if I would have treated them for the standard of care amount of time or gave them an adjustment without the extensive deep tissue.

Conservative management has been very challenging with thoracic outlet syndrome. The majority of the patients, over 90 %, in most cases are having surgery of the neck to remove the first rib or a cervical rib in the neck and also surgery to remove muscles in the neck. I don’t know about you, but no surgery looks very exciting for patients and it’s a very depressing and frightening experience for patients.

ACDF C5-C6-C7 2/28/11

nospam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote