View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Intermittent fasting - benefits for PN?

OK, if you are like me, you might yawn uncontrollably when you hear the word "diet". There are so many diets that are king one day, and then turn out to be dangerous or plain silly the next one.

However, as I'm looking into ways to change my lifestyle (and lower my LDL), I happened to watch this BBC Horizon documentary yesterday... now apart from the potential benefits of intermittent fasting - there are many forms, like every other day, or 2 days a week - one thing caught my attention: scientists start to assume that fasting might give your cells a needed rest to repair themselves. This rang a bell as someone who's suffering from PN.

You can watch the documentary on this page (it contains an ad for a book, just ignore that): http://www.documentarytube.com/eat-f...c-horizon-2012 (I would link to the original BBC website, but iPlayer is only viewable from the UK itself).

Wiki has a page on it as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

There were some rather fascinating results, like considerably lowering your glucose levels in 3 days.

I myself have noticed - in the last week or so - that my PN gets worse throughout the day, but is almost absent in the morning when I get up. So, it must be something I do during the day, right? Walking around all day (well, trying to...), or sitting, or lying in bed reading doesn't seem to change this. Eating less... sugar does seem to change this. I have completely stopped drinking soda and switched to water and (sometimes) fruit juice, as sugar has been identified on this website and elsewhere as pretty bad for your PN.

I'm not condoning this method or anything, just thought it could be interesting, as with PN the "cure" seems to be: to repair your damaged nerve cells/mitochondria.

I would welcome your thoughts, as I am considering giving it a go... But I will discuss this with my GP first, obviously. The 5 day/2day (as in the video) method seems like it's possible to keep up.
Wide-O is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote