View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 02:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Very frustrated newbie here!!

Hey everyone,

I'm 18 and in my second-last year of school.
I've been having these symptoms for approximately 10 months now.
I don't have an official dx yet, but the main thing mentioned by my GP is MS, so i'm hoping I can be guided on whether or not you think it could be...

I've just had an MRI 4 weeks ago, was supposed to get the results and follow-up appointment date through letter last week, however, when I rang to check the progress today, the main reception said my consultant hasn't even written the letter yet(!!!!) and that him and his department are in lock-down Anyway, the MRI was a general one (without contrast) and Pituitary with and without contrast. I am also hypothyroid for 3 years.

I'll put my symptoms and a quick description below...

- Vision issues - the first symptom, right eye would suddenly double/blur completely to the point I couldn't complete simple tasks. Spent a day in eye casualty, various tests, all normal.
- Fatigue, to the point where I would, and still do, fall asleep. Not relieved by any amount of sleep, gets worse in the afternoon. I can't get through a single day without crashing out atleast twice.
- Balance problems/dizziness - suddenly started with this after the vision disturbances. I frequently stumble, walk into things, trip over. I'm VERY wobbly on my feet.
- Memory & Cognitive stuff - forgetting simple things I have to do, and things I need, such as being told to bring something, but I will forget it, that's really frustrating, causes so much trouble, never used to be like that. And I can no longer open things like cans and packaging, cut things, because my hands just simply can't. Also struggling to collect thoughts together, mistyping, forgetting what I'm doing. Frequently, I find myself 'absent' so to speak, like I can be doing something, then suddenly 'jump' to alertness to find I've been sitting there staring for the past 10 minutes, can't remember exactly what I was doing except staring.
- Muscle stiffness, weakness, and numbness - I get the stiffness and numbness in only one side, my right side. Hands and feet randomly go numb and tingle all the way up my arm, they also randomly cramp up. However all muscles seem to have become weak, walking long distances is difficult, even though I used to walk ALOT without any trouble, and getting up stairs, getting up off a chair, off the floor etc, is difficult. Face also goes numb, only on the right side, and mouth sometimes droops down on the right side, eyelid also looks swollen and droopy.
Emotions - feelings of 'depression' but I don't have depression, that's just the best word to describe it. I'm also really moody atm, I can shout at someone or get upset at the slightest thing.
Swallowing and speech - this is one that gets to me the most. At random times, swallowing suddenly becomes near to impossible, I need water to swallow, otherwise I just can't...speech is also different, I jumble up my words mid sentence or just can't say what I intend to say
Shaking hands and legs - doing things like writing, using a computer mouse, is difficult because of this, it seems to get worse when I'm hot.
Urinary tract infection-like symptoms - frequent urgency and urination - had endless urine tests, all come back completely normal.
IBS-like symptoms - annoying as heck, I can go 4 or 5 times one day (sorry) and completely nothing for the next few days.
Pain - alot of chest pain, several trips to A&E and ECG's for that, one ECG came back quite quick, everything else normal. Stabbing pains all over my body, cold feeling, and a prickling heat sensation especially in my lower back, stabbing in arms, legs. Just today actually, had a pain that I cannot even describe all down my right leg, causes me to become very distressed and upset.

Apologies for the long as heck post, I'm just hoping I can be taken seriously for once. Taken 3 doctors to be referred for to the neuro. My family GP practically mocks you and make you feel like a time waster.

I hope maybe someone knows where these symptoms are pointing, usually I brush off anything medical related due to the fact I don't like fuss and bother, but these are impossible to ignore as they are affecting daily life, I used to achieve high grades, but due to all the above, and all the time off caused by it, I'm slacking

Thank you!
mousiki94 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KittyLady (05-02-2013), SallyC (05-02-2013)