View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 01:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What you are dealing with is normal. A bit of anxiety or worry about pains or proceedures clear up when I make appointments - our minds way of saying okay now you are going to deal with this......and we relax.

If I were you I would still talk to the doctor about the pain, how it affected you and get the referral - if he is sure it would help you.

Use the referral if and when the pain flares again.

There are numerous strategies I utilize for pain relief. I will bring up the principals of PRICE again, because following the steps really do help me in a flare. P=prevention (Stop whatever I am doing - causing the pain - if it is walking then rest, if it is sitting - change position, if it is resting then move) R=rest - do not overdo anything, take life slow. I= Ice packs (I use the big blue plastic ones that are used in ice chests - icing is good for nerve pain as well as inflammation....C=Compression=wrap the area - if it is your arm a ace bandage is good, I have this belt I put around my lower back - keeps it stable. E=Elevate - just raise the body part that is hurting - problematic at the back but just raising my legs so they are above my body helps. Sometimes I lay on the floor and rest my legs on my couch.

If your doctor gives you something for pain relief, those help some people, me I stay with small doses. I like going natural - as much as possible.

Massage, isometric exercises, tens unit and plenty of water (keep well hydrated) are all good and help with the extreme pain. So do hot baths.

All the best to you....

Kim
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote