Thread: Ivig
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi and welcome to the board you have come to the right place for support and help.
I can give you my experience would IVIG. I have been getting treatments for two years now. I go to an infusion center in Charlotte North Carolina. They can handle 15 patients at one time and have five or six nurses on duty. They have a recliner with TV and DVR plus a snack room. If you go in the morning they provide you with lunch.

My treatments take two hours but I do not react to the treatment as some people do. Abby gave you good advice that you should drink lots of water before treatment and after. Your nurse should monitor you closely on your first treatment as you will learn as time goes on that each of us are different and our treatments are different. Some people have to have premedication and can take up to six hours depending on how they react. The only reaction I have had are a couple of minor headaches.

At my infusion center there are only four or five MG patients. I have only met one and she has since moved to another facility because of insurance issues. These treatments are not cheap. My insurance company was billed last month for $80,000 just for IVIG. I am very fortunate to have excellent insurance and have yet to pay a penny out of pocket. My heart goes out to those that have to pay out-of-pocket or do not have any insurance at all.

Feel free to ask questions and remember there is no such thing as a dumb question. The people on this board are very friendly and very helpful and we are all fighting the same battle. It is not easy but we all find our own way to cope with this crazy disease.
Best to you
Mike
pingpongman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mastas (05-03-2013)