View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

You sound like you're going thru a similar experience with the Gabapentin that I did. The Neurologist started me low, & I kept asking for a higher dose until I was at 600mg 3x a day. Then that wasn't enough, and I went to 600mg 4x a day. Then that wasn't enough, and this all took place within a period of about 8 months. I had no desire to have greater brain fog, knowing the relief was going to wear off again shortly.

I asked for Nortriptyline, and I'm now taking 50mg once a day. Unlike Gabapentin, one isn't likely to need to raise their dose, as tolerance is less likely. It also works very good to start (for me anyway), similar to the Gabapentin, but as you settle into it, some of the (fuzzy feeling) relief fades. I still have a "folded sock" feeling, similar to your problem, which was altered slightly by the Nortrip. I'm now trying a metatarsal pad in each shoe to support the center of my foot, which has helped somewhat with the pain. Pain seems to be more tolerable now & my feet feel less clumsy now.

If you're looking for close to complete relief for all your pains, it's not likely to happen, but if you're lucky, you can bring them under more tolerable levels & just thank God if it doesn't get unmanageable.

Oh, yeah. I tried some Naproxen with the Nortriptyline, and I got some really strange feelings that I don't care to experience again. Ibuprofen is OK, for me, but doesn't work for as many hours & the extra relief was only slight, with either of them.

Hope this helps.
groucho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote