View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'll see if I can get them to give me the exact B-12 number. It will probably be Monday, as I woke up with a sore throat & cold today. I managed to avoid getting sick all winter & now it's spring, & 60 degrees, I get sick, yuk.

Wouldn't my Neurologist indicate if my B-12 might be on the lower side of normal? I was referred to her through my GP office.

It's hard to figure out when this started exactly because I brushed off the early symptoms for maybe a year. Hurting feet? I'm getting older. I bought gel pads for my shoes, it helped a little but not much. Itching & redness, it was probably an allergic reaction to something...know what I mean? It would go away, but always come back. Maybe I had sensitive skin. It was only the pins & needles & electric shocks that really made me wake up & tell my Dr something was ally wrong. She sent me to a Neurologist out of town for the tests. We are kind of rural but my Neurologist is only 45 min away. There is a closer one but she said it would take months to get to see him, & she preferred I get in soon.

Neuropathy scared me since my mother had it. Hers was diabetic caused. She never had symptoms like this so I was quite the doubting Thomas when I was told ai have it. Her feet would get numb & she would fall (she passed in 2011 of a major stroke). That's the only symptom of Neuropathy she had, numbness that would happen out of the blue & the cause was diabetes so I don't have any reason to think it is hereditary.

As far as trauma goes, the only injury I've had in many years is breaking my middle finger in 2010 & damaging the tendons. I had to have hand therapy for about 6 months, acquired a cyst on the bone from arthritis setting in the injured finger but that doesn't seem likely to getting PN. I do get pins & needle pokes in my hands & arms sometimes, even in side but it would be very odd if breaking a finger caused this.

I've not had any major illness.

In my labs, they did say I was very low on Vit D. She put me on a large dose of D for 2 months & I take a maintenance dose of 5000 daily.

Potassium was low but adding more to my diet corrected it. My BP med (fluid pill) was the culprit there & it's much better now.
shelllatte is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote