View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That's a lot of questions! I'll try to keep this brief while addressing all points. There are a lot of good stories from others in "Intros & your TOS history" sticky thread which is at the top of the forum listings.

What exactly was done?

Left side 1st rib resectioning, with a portion of the 2nd rib removed as well (they were fused together at birth, this is not a typical TOS scenario as far as the 2nd rib is concerned).

Is there any kind of "divot" (for lack of a better word) that can't be seen on the picture?

No divot whatsoever. I hope nobody else has one, either! The only results of the surgery that are externally visible are the scar and a smaller scar slightly apart from the primary scar it where the drainage tubing was inserted during my hospital stay.

How long was the surgery?

I believe I was in the OR for 3 hours. From what I have been told this is far longer than a single rib re-sectioning generally lasts.

How long were you in the hospital for?

I was released during the afternoon of the second day after my operation.

What has recovery been like so far?

Slow. Steady. Painful. Hard.

What kind of help did you need postop, and for how long?

Food prep/cleanup was the most obvious area where I needed help. To be honest this is tough to answer, as if there is anything I don't *need* to do that I would need help with, I have simply cut it out of my life. If it requires lifting, motor control, or more than one hand, I avoided it for most of the first month.

driving?

I avoided driving for a month after surgery. To be honest it still hurts and makes me sore, but I think these days that is largely due to the massive increase in the severity of symptoms/weakness I've seen in my right side since the left side was operated on.

Do you do PT, and how often?

I was advised not to begin PT. That may change at some point, I still have scheduled checkups with my surgeon.

What kind of estimate were you given for a return to work?

No estimate. I'm currently not working (I had planned to travel in Asia/ hike the Appalachian Trail before my symptoms spirally out of control) but I don't know that I could have worked any earlier than around the two month point. Most people with a single rib re-section seem to be fine going back after one month +/- a week, though.

I hope this helps,
Ben

Last edited by BDBomg; 05-02-2013 at 06:53 PM.
BDBomg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Woodstock3 (05-07-2013)