View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspennyloafer View Post
Id love to get my fascia released by him (jokes). He does seem very knowledgable about that

But strengthenng stuff is wrong

Strengthening your levator scapula is a terrible idea
And I bet most people do not have week latissimus dorsi muscles if anything theyre hypertrophied

He didn't talk about pec minor enough but the scalene information was great
In the article at http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/08/0...-dc-chapter-1/ he says he doesn't strengthen until after muscle spasms are cleared and the first rib is adjusted. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

And when he mentioned strengthening the levator and the upper trap, it was the for the purpose of elevating the shoulder girdle. For people who get relief from the cyriax release position (as I do), this would seem to make sense.

While he didn't go on and on about the pec minor, he does mention it as a factor in his first two treatment cases.

I'm more positive on his presentation than you guys are. I see at least the following differences in his treatment approach vs. the PTs and chiros I have seen to date:

-- more numerous hours on deep tissue work to clear out spasms

-- emphasis on methodically going through all related muscles. I feel like my current chiro cherry picks a couple obvious ones (pec minor & medial scalene) because there is < 30 min in the appt anyway. No time to go through everything even in a 45 - 60 min PT session.

-- special attention paid to scalenes. I don't think anyone that I've seen has directly worked on my ASMs and they most certainly need it.

-- a clear progression: spasms THEN adjustments THEN strengthening

-- special attention paid to daily postural habits. I don't recall Joyce Wilkinson or Art Ando instructing me on avoiding positions that would stress the scalenes even though they knew I had TOS

So I'm thinking about going out there (Chicago/Stoxen) as I have plateaued with my current chiro just like I plateaued with all the other PTs and chiros. I wouldn't mind hearing more from @drewanderson on his experience as it unfolds.
chroma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Msudawg89 (05-04-2013), Woodstock3 (05-03-2013)